Saturday, April 21, 2007

Swiss Steak (I want some now!)

When I was a kid, my mom used to make Swiss Steak for dinner. I think the sauce came out of a can, probably made by Contadina, but I could be remembering that wrong. Anyway, I hadn't had Swiss Steak in years and after seeing both Paula Deen and Alton Brown make it on their TV shows, I felt it was time to whip some up. I went with Alton's recipe and dang, was it good.

I admit I did not do what Alton did and tenderize my own piece of beef bottom round. We bought a top of the round steak instead and had the butcher cube it for us. He also put some seasoning on it (he offered and I said sure). And I used a can of diced tomatoes that had onions and garlic already added, and I did not use smoked paprika, as Alton suggested, (I just had regular), so I didn't make the exact recipe but it was still a fantastic dish.

Yesterday was cold and rainy, which put me in the mood for soup, so I got my mom to make some. She added a piece of the leftover Swiss Steak to the pot and we had some really yummy soup for dinner.

Paula's Swiss Steak recipe is here.

Edited To Add: I should have mentioned another winning recipe that I recently made: Ina Garten's Croissant Bread Pudding. Once again, I did not follow it exactly. Like I used some small soft rolls instead of croissants, and I cut the recipe in half, (the recipe calls for three whole eggs. I just used two but halved everything else), and I left out the raisins because they're not one of my favorite things to eat, and it was still sooooo good. I will definitely make this again and again and again. I don't care how many calories are in it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Croissant bread pudding sounds lovely. Swiss steak sounds like a holey steak. Makes me want a wedge of swiss cheese right now actually. -guava