Friday, May 18, 2007

I Wonder What's Linked To On My AOL Journal

Back in August 2003, I started a "journal" on AOL just to see how their blogging ...uh, what do I call it? Blogging set up? Blogging tool? Blogging program? Blogging editor thingy? Whatever. Anyway, I just went back to see what I had put there and found this recipe for an orzo salad.

Orzo Salad

Cook about half a box of orzo according to the directions on the package. Peel and slice one eggplant (I used the regular kind but you could use Japanese or Chinese). Slice a red onion. Slice a fennel bulb. Grill all the sliced vegetables on your grill pan. You can also use sliced zucchini or yellow squash but I didn't have any this time. Bell peppers are good to roast too but tonight I just used a jar of roasted ones that I had on hand.

Mix some white wine vinegar, one or two minced garlic cloves (more if they are small cloves), fresh basil, some of the fronds from the fennel, salt & pepper into a bowl. Slowly whisk in some olive oil. The original recipe did not give amounts so I just do three tablespoons of both oil and vinegar.

Pour the dressing over the vegetables, add in the cooked orzo, and toss it all together.


I think I came up with that thanks to recipes by Jamie Oliver and Ina Garten. I'll have to see if I can track down the originals that inspired me.

Also, at the old blog, was a link to these three salad recipes that use Green Tabasco Sauce. I love Tabasco and always have at least two kinds in the fridge, but I never got around to making any of these salads. I'll put them on my to-do list.

There was a link to Vintage Cookbook too. I haven't bought anything from there but I have bought some things (hankies, plates, embroidered linen towels) from one of the sister sites, Easy Street Antiques.

I had also posted a link to The Sweet Onion Source, where you can find recipes and information on Walla Walla, Maui and Vidalia onions, because I love onions.

This entry is really making me hungry.

No comments: