Sunday, October 7, 2007

Foster Homes in Texas Needed

I need to interrupt the cross stitch party and beg for foster homes again.

The Humane Society of North Texas just removed over 90 Shih Tzus from a woman who could no longer care for all of them. (An article about it is here.) If the HSNT gets custody of the dogs, they will put the healthy ones up for adoption. One of my favorite Shih Tzu rescues, Lone Star, will most likely be fostering some of the ones who aren't quite ready to be adopted. It may take 6-9 months to get them ready to go to homes.

IF YOU LIVE IN TEXAS AND EVER WANTED TO FOSTER A SMALL DOG, NOW IS THE TIME TO STEP UP AND DO IT.

Find out how on Lone Star's blog.

Reading about this makes me so pissed off. The woman who had the Shih Tzus apparently has a husband with Alzheimer's and it was her kids who notified authorities about the dogs. I have no idea what was going on with this family. Maybe the kids didn't visit that often or have much contact with their parents. I sincerely hope that was the case. Because I would like to believe that, if the kids were stopping by regularly, at some point, like when Mom & Dad were up to five or seven or eleven or thirty dogs, one of the kids would have told their parents it was time to spay & neuter every single one of the fluffballs. Honestly, I do not know how rescue and shelter volunteers deal with this day and in day out. It's neverending, it's heartbreaking and it's just really sad. If it were me, I'd be shooting people left and right.

Lone Star is also looking for a foster home for this "pitiful anemic Shih Tzu girl." How sad is that story? A huge Thank You goes to the nice lady who got her out of the shelter. Now the poor thing just needs a place to go. Anyone out there wanna help her?

UPDATE: Speaking of dog rescue, one blog I really enjoy is Penny Sanford Porcelains. I don't remember how I got there but I'm sure it had to do with a link to her tutorial for heart shaped yo-yos. (And, if you're keeping score at home, I still have yet to make a single yo-yo. I am such the crafter.) Anyway, Penny and her husband just fostered eight (that's EIGHT) rescued Westies!! Read all about it. This totally cheered me up after reading about the Shih Tzus in Texas. Thank you, Penny and Gordon, for all you do for rescue!

UPDATE #2: Lone Star ended up with eight of these Shih Tzus. Go here for more information.

No comments: