Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Crafty Saints


This image was posted on the Subversive Cross Stitch blog last year. Thanks to the pop-pom fringe, Julie declared St. Mathilde as the Patron Saint of Crafty Goodness. I don't know why I didn't post her picture before this, given my fascination with both saints and crafts.

You can read more about Saint Mathilde (aka Saint Mathilda and Saint Maud) here and here -- that second page mentions how she learned needlework when she lived at the monastery where her grandmother was the Abbess. FYI: the patron saints of embroiders and needleworkers are Clare of Assisi, Francis of Assisi, Louis IX, Parasceva and Rose of Lima.

Speaking of saints, Happy Zombie posted a pattern for a stuffed Saint Joseph last year. I don't think I ever linked to it.

Some day you may want to make a something for your hen-loving friend so here's a biscornu with chickens for you.

Here's a great tutorial for making a mattress pincushion.

Handmade Parade is having a Vintage Pillowcase Challenge [link via Crafty Carnival]. Make something from a standard size vintage pillowcase and enter it to win a $50 gift certificate from some cool places that I am too lazy to link to now because all I want to do is go to bed since it's 3:34 in the morning. (Why did I spend two hours reading about saints???) The challenge goes from January 15 to February 15th.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Too funny. I've been to the Church of St. Clare in Assisi, and I have to say, it's a VERY eerie church, probably one of the eeriest I've ever been in. From the second I walked in, I had a very weird vibe until I left. Can't explain it, but it was very strange.

xo said...

Who is the Patron Saint of Strippers? My google search suggested Courtney Love and Tommy Lee. It seems that Santa Claus (St. Nick) may be the Patron Saint of Prostitutes (and other sex-worker...no wonder he's so jolly!), but some sources say it's Mary Magdalene or St. Francis. What gives?