Monday, August 4, 2008

A Few More Links For The Weekend

Let's pretend I posted this one on Sunday.

I finally got around to clicking the links on TipNut's second list of 50 Free Apron Patterns & Tutorials, which led me to this cute cafe apron, which led me to more embroidery projects from Aimee Ray of Doodle Stitching fame, which led me to a ton of things to sew, quilt, knit, crochet, scrapbook, bead and make out of wood, including this Frilly Reversible Apron and this Beehive Pincushion. I feel like I hit the craft jackpot!

It's probably the fabric that was used but I really wish I could wear thongs after seeing these pretty Summer Slippers at Lady Harvatine.

These "Unmentionable" floss bobbins are so cute! You can find the template to make your own here.

The older I get, the more I tend to gravitate towards quickie cross stitch patterns so this is quite impressive: Michelangelo's painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel done in cross stitch. And, hey, it only took a decade to do.

How about doing Barack Obama in redwork? Or John McCain? Or Hillary Clinton? I think it's cool that Kyra at Black Threads did a pattern for each one so everyone can make their own choice on who to stitch. I wonder if she would create a Johnny Depp pattern. Not that I would embroider it on a pillow and sleep with it every night, or anything. [All links via my My half of the brain, now at a new home so update your bookmarks.]

I don't watch "Mad Men" because I'm an idiot but I guess on a recent episode they had some clips from Jackie Kennedy's 1962 tour of the White House. AMC has put the entire broadcast on their website. It's an hour long but you can watch it in 15 minute clips. It's really interesting. I just wish it was in color. [link via Pop Culture Junk Mail] JFK comes in during the last clip and as he's talking about the kids who come the White House, he says how their visits will get them more interested in history and make them better Americans. He also adds that some of them "may want to some day live here themselves . . . even the girls." And, I don't think he means as First Lady.

7 comments:

Brook said...

U live in San Clemente!?!?!?! I live in Laguna Beach!!! YAY !!! a crafter who lives in Orange county... I want to make a little crafting group would you be interested? or know about any?

Brook said...

What an idiot I am... I was so excited you had a craft blog and from orange county that I thought I read San clemente but it was San Juan... hahaha sorry...

The Apron Queen said...

If you make a Johnny Depp pillow, I'm putting in an order for one right now. Or maybe a Mel Gibson one!? Good luck on the giveaway!

Confessions of an Apron Queen

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Johnny Depp in cross stitch . . . now that would be a fun project! Twyla

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great links. That Sistine Chapel one...wow!!

Michele B. said...

Hi - I just found your blog through Jennifer at Sweet Pea Stitches - thank you so much for all the fabulous links to freebies. Special thanks for the link to the Swappons charts - my husband is a cyclist and there is a gorgeous bicycle cross stitch chart. I will be back to visit! Michele

Wendy said...

The unmentionable bobbins are great! Someone really does need to come up with a Johnny Depp cross stitch pattern.