Sunday, September 21, 2008

Elvis' Favorite Cake

When my dad asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I immediately answered "a Michael's gift card." There are a zillion other things I could use right now but dang it, I wanted some to get some floss and cross stitch fabric. Well, he got me a gift card for $100!! (I was expecting $20 and was totally blown away when I found out how much it was for.) So, the other night, my sister and I went to Michael's and I blew $52 on 20 skeins of floss. Ok, I actually got a few more items but I'm still shocked that I spent that much on little things like plastic bobbins, needle threaders, one large piece of Aida, two sheets of craft felt, one spool of ribbon, two packs of cardstock, and several wooden hoops (my project for this week is to put some of my finished embroidery and cross stitched projects in the hoops and hang them up on a wall). And, some Tiny Chicklets for my sister and Pez for me. Seriously, where did all that money go??

As much as I love frosting cupcakes, when it comes to eating them, I'd rather have pound cake (or cheese cake). So when I saw this on Baker's Banter, I knew I had to give it a try. And, I was not at all disappointed. IT'S REALLY GOOD. You can find the recipe on the King Arthur website.




The King Arthur cake uses cream cheese. Another delicious pound cake is from Paula Deen and that one uses sour cream. I might need to make both of them one day and do a taste test. :)

9 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I don't dare check out those recipes! Too tempting.

Susan Hickam said...

Happy Birthday! That is a wonderful gift! It is very very easy to spend money at any Craft store. A very big weakness for me.

MsSippi, aka Peggy said...

Thank you for the nice birthday greeting on my blog! What a COOL gift your dad gave you! My mom gave me some cash, but I had to use it to pay my credit card off before my hubby pitched a fit. LOL!

I love your vintage thingies, too!

MsSippi, aka Peggy said...

A belated Happy Birthday to you, too, Patty! Thank you for the birthday wishes!

Threeundertwo said...

Happy Birthday!

Oh no, I was just about to write a post about cross-stitch purchases run amok. Hope you don't mind!

(Great minds think alike. . .)

Jane said...

What a lovely gift. It doesn't take long to spend it in a craft shop, just need the time to use it all up!

Diane said...

Hap-Hap-Happy Birthday Patty!! You only spent $52? It's tough to show restraint when the world is at your fingertips. Well done! Also, you've been tagged on my blog.

Kellie said...

I missed your birthday!! Well Happy Belated! Turning 30 was exciting, was it not? ;)

I would love to walk into a craft store and splurge on something like embroidery floss! How fun!

AND..that pound cake. Dear Lord my mouth watered the minute I saw the photo. That looks good. I have a recipe for Elvis' favorite cornbread on my blog...it's good stuff.

Again, Happy Birthday friend!

Kellie said...

Hold the phone!! Did you say PEZ? Have we discussed this before? Do you collect or eat it? You know I loves me some Pez, right? HAVE we discussed this?