Friday, January 8, 2010

My Half Finished Garland

I take the crappiest pictures. They're usually out of focus, even though I use my camera's macro and super macro settings. Sometimes I hit auto-fix once I upload them but most of the time I leave them as is. But I have to say I really like the photo in my blog header. Which brings me to my new garland:



Well, that's what it looked like before I took it apart. After I saw the photo I used in my banner, I decided to blanket stitch pairs of felt circles together, and then turn the pairs into a garland. By the way, the colors are a little off in that picture. Some of the circles are more blue and not so purple-y.

My garland was inspired by the tutorial on The Purl Bee, except I did not use invisible thread -- I have no idea why but I have a whole spool of it and it reminded me way too much of thin, blond strands of hair and that was kind of creepy so I just didn't use it. And I was too impatient to backstitch all the way across each circle so I just stitched a big X to attach them to one another. I figured the garland would be hanging up high so no one would see the X's. But now that I'm in the mood to do some blanket stitching, so much for the big X's. The Purl Bee garland was for New Year's so hopefully I'll finish mine by next January.

How cute are these decoupaged hangers over at Mod Podge Rocks? I also found out that every Sunday, there will be a giveaway of a Mod Podge Starter Set over there. It's too late to enter the one for this week but I'm writing myself a note as a reminder to get in on the next one.

Speaking of Mod Podge, there's a tutorial for covering tins with fabric on Think Crafts that I want to try. (It was written by Amy of Mod Podge Rocks.) I have a few tins that I wanted to cover in some way, plus I have a bunch of containers from The Republic of Tea that I have been saving because I'm insane. I need to get them out of the cupboard (I need the room!) and do something with them, like cover them with fabric.

Embroideroo shows you how to make a cute strawberry pincushion from fabric and felt. [Link via Tip Nut.] I'd like to make one of these too.

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Damn you and your Mod Podge links - I have about NINE MORE BLOGS to add to my already out of control Google reader.

~Niki~ said...

thanks for the great links patty!

Anonymous said...

If only you knew another blogger who mod podged something onto tin ...

lol.

Loralynn said...

Love the link for covering the tins! I have a bunch of General Foods Coffee tins gathering dust and space in my cupboard that I need to do something with! Just can't seem to throw them away! Love the tins from Republic of tea, I only have two of those though!

Anonymous said...

Oh no Patty, I post the worst pics of my work on my blog!!

Kellie said...

Speaking of ModPodge, I tried modpodging a clip board(like the ones on Janes Apron) and it was a disaster. I still don't know how I managed to mess up Modpodge, the world's easiest craft, but I did. I didn't throw it away though...maybe I should get it out and try again.

Anonymous said...

I liked the garland too and I wish you would have left it alone! You could take a random number of the circles and stitch a little dog on them or something.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Threeundertwo said...

I take much worse pictures. I can't even fix them right. Once you upload them, you can use a tool like picnik.com to fix them (or in my case mess them up) even more.

Check out what Floresita has on her blog today. I can't wait to make these! http://mytransfers.blogspot.com/2010/01/gay-kittens-and-puppies-for-every-use.html

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the mention! I love your blog AND the fact that you support animal rescue!!! My 3 pups are all rescue. Spoiled rescues. :D

Unknown said...

I've never found your pictures to be bad. I think mine are awful, especially my etsy ones. It seems like my hands MUST shake if I am taking etsy pictures.
Guess what?! I am sort of working!

SheilasEmbroidery said...

Lovely garland and a great idea to blanket stitch the circles

Sandi said...

I'm glad you like my strawberry pincushion tutorial - enjoy!