Thursday, September 9, 2010

Three Weeks Later

It's been three weeks since I broke my knee and I've finished five cross stitch quickies and am nearly done with another one. I thought I was going to have to stay off my leg for a total of six weeks and wanted to stitch things that would keep me busy while I was sitting around. I think I did these three that first week. (I was pretty bored.)

I'll post links to the free charts as soon as I track them down.

I finally got in to see the orthopedic surgeon on Monday of last week. He said I didn't need surgery for this fracture since I didn't tear any ligaments nor were any bones displaced, and that was really great news. He also said that kneecap fractures have nothing to do with weight bearing so I don't have to use a walker to get around. Yay! I'm wearing a thigh-to-ankle-brace that allows 10% movement of my knee now and eventually I'll adjust it to 30%. Or maybe not. The guy who works for the company that sells the braces showed me how to change the settings while I was in the doctor's office that day and I don't remember a thing he said or did. Good thing I have an instruction booklet.

I still can't believe I did broke my knee AGAIN. I'd like to make it known that I do not have a drinking problem or a seizure disorder nor am I a klutz. Even though it's the same knee, it's two different bones. And, last time I fell off a wall in the backyard and this time I slipped and fell on the kitchen tile. Apparently, I just like to land on my right knee when I fall. Who knows why. And how convenient that I already have a "Knee Update" label on my blog.

Here are a few links before I go:

I don't think I can get to my fabric stash right now (it's on the bottom shelf of hallway cupboard), but if I could, I totally would make this Bluebirds Armchair Sewing Caddy from Julia's Place [link via Tipnut].

On Just Another Day in Paradise is a tutorial for making a set of felt Old MacDonald hand puppets [via Craft Gossip].

I really want to make a Humphrey the Bonzo Hound from Bustle and Sew. I thought about doing him in felt but I'd rather use fabric so he will have to wait until I can get in to that cupboard.

Have any socks that no longer have a mate? Turn them into a cute dog with the tutorial from Little Black Teapot. Or a dino. Or a bunny [via One Pretty Thing].

There's a new free cross stitch chart at Blue Ribbon Designs called Stars Over Pines. Go to the website and then click on Freebie in the left sidebar.

And, on the website for Just Cross Stitch magazine, you'll find the C is for Cure (breast cancer) design from Lizzie Kate [link via Stitch Pink]. There's also a chart for a cute reindeer ornament there -- look for links to the pdf's for both of these under Free Designs in the middle of the page.

4 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Girl...I can not believe you keep breaking that knee....wow..

Let me tell you something...shhh....
you keep breaking that knee...and I keep burning spots in my carpet.....first, the fireplace, now the iron....and I am not even kidding!!

We need to get it together and fast!! Godspeed on a quick recovery!

Miss 376 said...

Glad to hear you are making good progress. Great use of the time, the sampler is really pretty

Annie said...

At least you got some pretty stitching done. Glad to hear you are on the mend and don't need surgery. Hope you're really hopping around soon!

marybt said...

You did a really great job! I love the puppy with the heart. :)