Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Diabetes Awareness Month Now With A Meme!

November is Diabetes Awareness Month so how about a diabetes meme? [via Six Until Me]

What type of diabetes do you have: Type 1 aka insulin-dependent diabetes. And, please stop calling it juvenile diabetes. Really, people. This is 2010.

When were you diagnosed: August 1978

What's your current blood sugar: 163

What kind of meter do you use: One Touch Ultra

How many times a day do you test your blood sugar: 5-10 times a day

What's a "high" number for you: Anything over 199

What do you consider "low": Anything that makes me feel "not right," usually below 80

What's your favorite low blood sugar reaction treater: Mixed fruit glucose tablets from Rite-Aid

Describe your dream endo: One who treats me for free (I don't have insurance)

What's your biggest diabetes achievement: Living 32 years with it. Go, me!

What's your biggest diabetes-related fear: Kidney failure

Who's on your support team: Me, myself and I, and financially, my father

Do you think there will be a cure in your lifetime: Nah. And, I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all but do you realize how many people would be out of a job if a cure was found?

What is a "cure" to you? My pancreas starts making unlimited insulin again

The most annoying thing people say to you about your diabetes is: "Oh, I guess you can't eat cake." OMG, shut up.

What is the most common misconception about diabetes: That Type 1 is just like Type 2 and can be treated with diet. Which part of "my pancreas no longer produces insulin, and without insulin, I will die" do you not get?

If you could say one thing to your pancreas, what would it be: I'll bake you a cake if you start working again.

I'll leave you with my diabetes PSA from this here blog in May 2009:

Here's my PSA: Sonia Sotomayor has Type 1 diabetes. It's caused when the pancreas stops producing insulin. It has NOTHING to do with diet or being overweight. If I read one more comment about her having type 1 diabetes because she's fat or ate too much candy or junk food, I am going to kill someone.

Making you diabeetus aware, one post at a time.

1 comment:

Board certified Doc said...

Brilliant compilation, this post is actually very easy to go through and answers all the important Question s related to Diabetes.