Sunday, November 14, 2010

World Diabetes Day



World Diabetes Day is today, Sunday, November 14th, which is why I put the giant candle in my right sidebar. You can use the match to light it (you'll be taken to the World Diabetes website).

I'm all for raising awareness about diabetes but the majority of the time it's focused on Type 2, which is not the kind I have. I have Type 1. Sometimes I want to scream when people talk about preventing diabetes because there is no way to prevent Type 1 diabetes. And, if you're a regular reader of this blog, I am sure you know that by now because I've whined about it enough over the past few years. See how well I spread awareness? :)

I'll leave you with my favorite diabeetus video.



P.S. Thank you to Drs. Banting and Best for discovering insulin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing more awareness to those of us who have type 1 Diabetes. I was diagnosed in 1962 at the age of 7yrs. I have been married for over 30yrs and we have a son in his early 20's studying at university. I live in Australia and most of our supplies are free or subsidized through the National Diabetes Supply Scheme.Yes, I have been asked the silliest questions over the years to, e.g. Is it contagious? Will your son get it? Why are you eating lollies/candies? Poor thing, you can't have any birthday cake on your birthday. What do diabetics eat for dinner etc.? Sorry about that, but it felt so good to complain to somebody who understands. Love your family, because they will always love and care for you know matter what.
Susie.

Threeundertwo said...

Love the video.